Isaac Buo and Lana Zimmerman and join our heat equity team

Learn about their roles and research focus

The Luskin Center for Innovation (LCI) is delighted to introduce Lana Zimmerman and Isaac Buo, who are contributing their expertise and passion to our Heat Equity research-related initiatives.

Isaac joins LCI in a researcher role after completing his doctoral degree. Using his expertise in spatial analysis and data science, Isaac’s first project is to develop first-of-their-kind maps of shade (and shade deserts) in communities across the country.

Lana joins LCI in the role of associate project manager after having a similar research oriented role for the UCLA Latino Policy and Politics Institute. Lana manages an array of LCI’s research projects that engage community members and state decision-makers with the goal to inform effective and equitable strategies and policies to address heat.

We asked them both a few questions to get to know them better. Read on to learn more!

Isaac Buo

Why is environmental policy important to you?

Environmental policy determines how we interact with and safeguard our environment. As a researcher in urban heat and outdoor thermal comfort, I know the direct influence that policy decisions can have on reducing urban heat-related problems.

How did you first get interested in environmental policy?

Both personal experiences and academic pursuits sparked my interest in environmental policy. Growing up in a rapidly urbanizing city, I witnessed the environmental challenges of urban sprawl firsthand. My education in geoinformatics and engineering gave me a deep understanding of how various urban elements interact to influence local climate, particularly regarding urban heat/overheating.

What are you most looking forward to in this role?

I’m excited about the potential outcomes of my research on shade distribution in major U.S. cities. My research aims to identify communities lacking adequate shading resources, ultimately addressing historical inequities in heat exposure due to discriminatory land use policies.

What types of research do you most enjoy?

I am interested in urban overheating and climate informatics research using GIS, remote sensing, and machine learning. These technologies make urban thermal environment modeling, monitoring, and detailed spatial analysis possible. Integrating these tools helps inform evidence-based policies and urban heat mitigation strategies.

What drew you to UCLA and the Luskin Center for Innovation?

I was attracted to UCLA because of its well-established reputation for excellent research and dedication to tackling critical social concerns. My research interests and career goals aligned well with LCI’s focus on multidisciplinary research and its proven track record of converting research into workable policy solutions.

What are a few things people should know about you?

I’m a big believer in the power of collaboration — I think it’s key to tackling complex problems. Secondly, I’m a tech enthusiast. Lastly, you’ll often find me exploring the outdoors and trying new sports.

What do you like to do in your free time?

I enjoy playing basketball, cycling, and football (soccer) in my spare time. I also like losing myself in a good documentary or comedy special and listening to podcasts.

To get in touch with Isaac, contact him at IBuo@luskin.ucla.edu

Lana Zimmerman

Environmental policy and environmental justice have been integral parts of my life even before I had the vocabulary to define these concepts. Having been personally affected by environmental injustice, my motivation to advocate for policies that center the needs of vulnerable populations began at a young age.

My upbringing in Los Angeles, specifically in the San Fernando Valley, inspired my interest in environmental policy. While California leads in climate adaptation and mitigation work, I have witnessed that investments do not always benefit the people who need them the most. Since my introduction to these fields, I have focused my work and expertise in environmental justice.

LCI has a strong history of advancing effective and equitable solutions to environmental challenges. As the associate project manager of heat equity research, I look forward to applying my skills to the existing and upcoming LCI projects for heat equity.

I enjoy all research related to environmental policy. I have a background in both qualitative and quantitative research methods, and I enjoy projects that use a mixed methods approach.

The combination of amazing faculty and staff and a robust research portfolio drew me to LCI.

My background spans a diverse range of fields, from the arts to community organizing. As a first-generation college graduate whose identity is underrepresented in many policy spaces, I entered this field with the support of so many people. I am grateful and eager to pass my knowledge onto future leaders.

I love to cook and share food with others. I am slowly building my collection of recipes for meals and baked goods (I am more of a savory than sweet person). I also love to read and write book reviews. I have a GoodReads account with two loyal followers.

To get in touch with Lana, contact her at lzimmerman@g.ucla.edu