Meet Rae Spriggs, Our Climate Action Research Manager

Join us in welcoming Rae to the Luskin Center for Innovation team!

A headshot of Rae Spriggs outdoors in front of palm trees

In her role as manager of climate action research, Rae is facilitating our work on extreme heat and climate resiliency. She focuses on strategic partnerships and engagement with policymakers, advocates, and impacted communities to maximize the impact of our research findings.

Rae shared that this research is personally meaningful to her: “I grew up directly next to a major freeway in San Diego and was diagnosed with asthma at the age of three. In undergrad, I learned that the natural and built environments significantly affect our physical health and overall wellbeing. That knowledge has fueled my work since.”

Previously, Rae served as associate director of the Center for Diverse Leadership in Science at UCLA and earned her Master’s in Public Health, also from UCLA. She also brings experience as a climate and equity researcher at The Nonprofit Institute at the University of San Diego.

Hear more from Rae:

What does climate action mean to you?
Climate action responds to our science and our knowledge of climate drivers and climate impacts by taking concrete steps to mitigate exposure to those impacts, protect human health and build climate resilience in communities.

Climate action can look like advocacy for bold policy change at the state and local levels, allocation of funding to climate-impacted communities or grassroots climate resilience education. We need climate action at every level.

What are you most looking forward to in this role?
I’m excited to connect with community organizers and policymakers alike on California climate resilience efforts. This work requires coalition-building, and I love how involved this role will allow me to be.

What should people know about you?
I am a proud aunt, cat mom, and plant mom (all my plants are named). I will talk about any of my babies if you ask. I’ll even show you pictures if you’re interested!

Outside of work, what do you like to do?
Cooking, hiking, reading mystery books, watching Abbott Elementary, planning my next travel adventure, and FaceTiming my adorable nephews! I also love music and creative writing. One day I hope to publish my work!

To get in touch with Rae, contact her at rspriggs@luskin.ucla.edu or connect on LinkedIn.