We’re hiring a manager of strategic communications and events
Apply by March 15
Are you a communications professional who cares about the environment?
We’re hiring a manager to lead strategic communications and events on our high-impact team.
About the Luskin Center for Innovation (LCI):
Our mission is to equitably solve environmental challenges through actionable research with impacted communities and policymakers. We often focus on California, the world’s fourth-largest economy, to support a model of environmental leadership that is relevant globally. An increasing share of our research takes a national lens, to advance environmental equity, climate and water solutions throughout the country. Our approach is collaborative. We unite dozens of scholars across a wide array of disciplines and engage with hundreds of civic partners, who inform and utilize our research. The Luskin Center for Innovation has influenced dozens of public policies and investments for a more equitable and sustainable future. We have been recognized by President Obama’s Climate Data Initiative, and our work has earned eight awards from the American Planning Association — three national and five at the state level.
It’s an exciting time to join the Luskin Center for Innovation! You’ll be part of a team of faculty, staff, and graduate students working in collaboration with civic partners, including in communities of color, to advance environmental equity during a critical window of time for evidence-based environmental action.
The Manager of Strategic Communications and Events will drive LCI’s outreach strategy, working with the executive team to develop and execute plans to ensure the center’s research reaches target audiences and informs public decision-making. As communications team leader, the Manager is responsible for producing high quality reports, news stories and events. Specifically, this position will provide strategic and operational direction, evaluate progress toward goals and manage day-to-day activities for LCI’s communications, events and strategic engagement. This will include proactively collaborating with every member of the LCI team to manage the report release and broader communications calendar and its outputs, supervising and assigning work to students and consultants, and managing event logistics.
This will be a hybrid position, requiring at least two days per week in the office. This position is listed as full-time. (Alternatively, we may be open to shifting it to a part-time position focused on the communications portion of the job description. Indicate in the cover letter your preference.)
Who we’re looking for:
- You’re a gifted writer and editor. You’re an excellent, experienced writer and editor with a track record of producing high-quality content. You know how to synthesize and translate complex information into accessible, actionable language for a broad spectrum of audiences, from reporters to policymakers.
- You have an eye for design. You are skilled at creating visually appealing, high-impact content.
- You’re highly organized and have project and/or event management experience. You are detail-oriented and can handle a multitude of event details, from venue contracting to developing run-of-show schedules.
- You’re focused and flexible. You know how to ask questions and get the information you need to get the job done efficiently. You’re flexible when priorities change. You excel working in a fast-paced environment in which you juggle multiple projects and responsibilities.
- You’re a collaborative storyteller. You enjoy learning from others and amplifying their work for public benefit. You know how to research, ask questions, and tease out all of the pertinent details to create an accurate and compelling narrative.
- You’re passionate about our mission. You want to help improve environmental policy and planning during a critical window to avert climate disaster. Ideally, you have a background in one or more of our research areas, including water justice and climate action.
- You have the technical skills needed to run communications operations. Preferably, that includes at least basic knowledge of WordPress, Constant Contact, Google Analytics, Adobe Creative Cloud programs, social media platforms, Box, and standard professional softwares like Google Drive and Microsoft Office.
LCI values diversity in all its forms and is committed to inclusive and transparent recruitment, hiring, and promotion processes. Candidates of diverse backgrounds and lived experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
Details and to apply:
Anticipated pay range, depending on experience and qualifications, is $75,000-85,000 annually. This position is eligible for full and generous University of California benefits. See here for details about UCLA employee perks.
For full job description and to apply, refer to the UCLA Careers posting.
(Or if searching for the position, type in requisition #38392.)
The deadline to apply is March 15, 2023.